The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

High yield portfolio

Thursday, December 24, 2009

In case anyone is interested in building up a portfolio of high yielding Singapore counters, here are a few counters worth considering:

Saizen REIT - For a potential yield of 13% from middle of 2010. Lower gearing in time. A strong Yen is a plus as distributable income is converted to S$ for distribution to unitholders. At 15c, it is deeply undervalued. Please refer to the earlier entry on Saizen REIT for a more detailed write-up. Passive income with high yields: Saizen REIT

MI-REIT - Soon to be renamed AIMS AMP Capital Industrial REIT. With its recent recapitalisation exercise, gearing is at 29% and the yield is a respectable 10% with price at 20.5c. NAV is 31c. I like Singapore industrial properties a bit more than office buildings as the demand is more inelastic. AIMS-AMP Capital Industrial Reit (MI-REIT)


LMIR - A joint venture between Indonesian powerhouse, Lippo, and Mapletree (a subsidiary of Singapore's Temasek Holdings). Indonesia never did go into a recession. It kept growing through the financial crisis. This REIT owns shopping malls in the country. With domestic consumption forming 60% of GDP plus a growing middle class, this REIT will do better in time. Indonesia needs more malls. Yield is at 9.5% with price at 51.5c. Gearing is a low 12%. Price has closed above resistance. 50c might just be resistance turned support. LMIR

First REIT - Owned by Lippo, it primarily owns healthcare facilities in Indonesia and Singapore. Yield at 9.5% with price at 80c. Gearing is a low 16%. This counter has been doing a levitation act. Seemingly infallible.

Suntec REIT - A respectable yield of 8.6% with price at $1.35. Gearing is at 34%. However, its price is close to resistance. Might want to wait for a pullback before entering. $1.25 or thereabouts would be a nice entry price.

SPH - My favourite high yield blue chip. At the price of $3.60, I'm estimating a fairly conservative 5.5% yield in 2010. Strong balance sheet. Price seems to be going through a basing process now.

I own units or shares in all the above. These are for long term passive income generation. So, I won't be too bothered by short term price fluctuations. There will come a time when I should liquidate these. This is when there is a change in the longer term trend.
A new year and a new decade. Strategy for 2010. 

Update (added on 13 Oct 2010).

21 comments:

drizzt said...

somehow i do not like sph. lost its lusture as advertising isnt really defensive.

i prefer starhub m1 and sing post better.

add to my other fav parkway life,first reit and areit.

AK71 said...

Hi drizzt,

Advertising's performance is cyclical but SPH is not just a print media company these days. I like their real estate investments and I particularly like The Paragon. :)

Starhub scares me with their amazingly high gearing level. M1 is a yield play but I worry about their second fiddle position (not third now, I hope) and it doesn't seem to be doing much. If you would like to share the reasons why you like these apart from the yields, please do as I am not in the know. :)

I like how SingPost is leasing out retail spaces but do you worry about the contribution from postal income decreasing what with emails and ecards being so inexpensive and even free?

If you let me choose Parkway Life or First REIT, I would choose the latter. The former's yield is just not attractive enough for me. Haha... OK, that's just me.

A-REIT? I think it's a bit cash hungry. How many times it raised capital in the last 12 months? Quite a few placements, if I remember correctly. Any rights issue? Do you remember? As you could probably tell, I'm not vested. ;p

Kerry said...

Hey AK,
Quick question. How do you tell if the long term trend has changed? I presume it has to do with technical analysis but I'm quite a newbie at that. Was hoping if you could enlighten, pls?

Much thx,
~K

P.S. Hope you're doing fine btw. And that you had a spiffy weekend. =)

AK71 said...

Hi K,

Thanks for asking. I spent my weekend working. Not spiffy at all. :( Oh well, another week is starting.

How do we tell if a long term trend has changed? You are right. It is technical analysis. Draw trendlines. ;)

Hope these links help:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trend.asp

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trendline.asp

You might want to pick up a book or two on TA as well. Have a good week. :)

Kerry said...

Hi AK,
Thx for the reply.

Heh, well guess we both had something in common over the weekend then heh.

And yes, thx for the links. heh, I understand what trends lines are but my fault, I wasn't specific. What I meant to ask was, in various periods, you have different trends i.e. intraday, 3mths, 6mths, 1yr etc. Which time period do you look at when you determine if the trend is still intact or has been changed?

Thx again AK,
~K

P.S. Yeah, another week has started. Whew. Perhaps we both need a holiday =)

AK71 said...

Hi K,

You can use Moving Averages (MAs) to help look at trends of various durations. I like to look at 20, 50, 100 or 200 days MAs, for examples. There are also weekly MAs for longer term analysis. Hope this helps. :)

I see you are interested in TA now. Time to get yourself a good TA book, I reckon. ;)

Kerry said...

Hi AK,

Thx. Yeah I've borrowed the Dummies Guide to Tech Analysis from the library. Should be a good start unless you've other recommendations?

said...

Hi Aspire, it depends on what time frame u are looking at. This depends on your investment horizon.
If your investment horizon for the particular stock is relatively short, look at the daily chart.

If it is long term (at least 1 year or longer), look at the weekly chart.

To me, one of the surest signs of a trend change is an impulsive move upward or downward. Watch whether the price breaks support and whether it can overcome that support-turned resistance. Vice versa for stocks that break resistance.

I took a look at your blog..saving is the most basic step in long-term wealth creation. Without saving, there can be no investing.

AK71 said...

Hi K,

Yup, that is a good book to start with.

Hi Hubert,

Maybe, I could qualify your statement by saying that without "capital", there can be no investing. For some, they don't have to save as they might already have the capital. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey AK,
Thought I'd share this link with you. You might find the video interesting.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38142905/Invest_in_High_Yielding_Dividend_Stocks_UBS

~K

AK71 said...

Hi K,

Thanks for sharing this. :)

"Invest in higher-dividend stocks, especially those in Singapore, because they are still yielding between 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 percent, said Kelvin Tay, Singapore chief investment strategist at UBS, on CNBC's Protect Your Wealth." 8 Jul 2010

Right on. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi AK

WOuld there be an updated version of this classic post ?

Thanks

SnOOpy88

AK71 said...

Hi SnOOpy88,

Like you so aptly put it, this is a classic. Classics should be left as they are. ;p

Nah, seriously, this post was one of my first posts when this blog was born last Christmas Eve. It has managed to stay consistently as one of the top posts of my blog since. Quite amazing, if I do say so myself.

I still believe in the counters here and perhaps you are right about doing an update. Here goes:

1. Saizen REIT could only get better in time. The refinancing of YK Shintoku's CMBS is a matter of time and that would be followed by a re-rating. The next income distribution in March 2011 would be significantly higher than what was given out in September last month.

2. AA REIT (ex MI-REIT) is already in the limelight. With an estimated DPU of 2.08c (XR), this is a very high yielding REIT with much lower risks compared to its MI-REIT days.

3. LMIR although suffering from a mediocre management is a safe passive income generator. I do not expect its DPU to fall lower than 4c per annum.

4. First REIT is another safe passive income generator although its latest acquisition plans could force it to issue rights which could be a good thing if we look at AA REIT's experience.

5. Suntec REIT is a blue chip REIT, so to speak. Steady performer although I feel that its valuation at $1.50 currently is somewhat rich.

6. SPH just declared a final dividend of 20c payable in December. Enough said. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi AK71

I noted that you have in your portfolio 5 USD denominated stocks. How do you rate their performance so far? Are they good for long term holdings especially for yields? How about Dairy Farm in particular? Is it worth looking at? I noticed it generated higher daily volume than the rest.

Thanks for your valued advice

AK71 said...

Hi Anonymous,

I think you are mistaken. I do not hold any US$ denominated stocks.

Dairy Farm is not a counter I am familiar with. So, I will not comment on it.

Could you include your name or initials in future comments? Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear AK71,

I will be receiving my cheque from insurance company, wondering where to park my money about 100K. Bank- too pathetic interest! Now I'm still on huge loss invested with AIA funds using my OA, SA & cash.
Would appreciate if you could advice me some safe stocks to invest, protect my hard earned money!
Many thanks.......... JO

AK71 said...

Hi JO,

I have a friend who is very risk averse telling me that he rather put his money in a savings account because he might only get 0.1% interest payment per annum but his $100K would still be $100K in a market crash. ;)

Investing in the stock market is not risk free, for sure. However, leaving money in the bank could see our wealth eroding away due to inflation too.

I have a blog post which addresses this issue:

To protect our wealth, we have to take risk.

I would also consider Sabana REIT.

Balancing AIMS AMP Capital Industrial REIT and Sabana REIT.

Good luck. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks AK71, thanks for sharing!

Good Luck......... JO

AK71 said...

Hi JO,

You are welcome. Good luck to us all. :)

Jack said...

Hello AK,

I'm new to investing.

I noticed there are some online investment games that simulates trading stocks.

Do you think those are useful for beginners?

AK71 said...

Hi Jack,

Why not? I like games. They could introduce some ideas and concepts in a risk free environment. ;)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award