The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

To queue for a $1 parking fee redemption

Sunday, December 27, 2009

I was out the whole afternoon for lunch and tea with a couple of good friends. They are people who have developed naturally into good friends in recent years as we share similar interests in investing for a better future etc. However, even twin brothers have differences. It's normal.

One friend mentioned how he's impressed that I would queue to make a parking fee redemption of $1 at Vivo City. You know how Vivo City has this ingenious system where they store credits in an account which is linked to your car's IU? After he made the remark, it kind of stayed at the back of my mind. I started thinking.

Apart from the fact that I like to squirrel away reward points of any kind, I do enjoy bargains. I actually do not spend much money on myself and enjoy spending on people I love more. I am quite happy cooking for myself instant noodles or boiling a pot of barley or porridge for a meal. This is usually when I'm home alone. Yet, I enjoy little luxuries like chocolates and preserved mangoes, which are quite expensive. I refuse to employ domestic help and do my own laundry and cleaning. I wash my car myself instead of going to a car wash. Yes, I have a car which is a luxury but it's a practical Japanese brand car, nothing too luxurious. One tenet runs through all my monetary decisions in life: look for value for money as it's not really about affordability. When did I become like this? I can't say exactly but it probably happened in the last ten years. I can't remember being financially prudent in my younger days.

So, when I spend money on loved ones and see them happy, I think it's value for money. Going for a nice meal with my mom at a nice restaurant is money and time well spent, for example. When I buy chocolates and preserved mangoes, I buy them when there is a sale. I can afford sending my car for a car wash but I prefer to do it myself. I can afford a car with the four rings insignia but I rather not do it. I can probably afford to pay for parking but I choose to park for free. Hahaha... I think I'm getting predictable.

I think in all these observations, what another friend said to me is true, that I must learn how to enjoy the finer things in life and learn to spend more on myself. I still remember an outing with another friend when we walked past a Swatch outlet and I saw a nice Irony watch which I liked. Price: S$189. Not too pricey but I walked away. My friend told me I should buy it if I liked it. When I said I already have a few watches and I should not buy it, I got a scolding. Hahaha... I bought the watch in the end and I do like it but my favourite two watches are still the ones my parents gave me very early on in my working life.

I guess everything boils down to being happy. Happiness is never a science though.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro! u must realise when we talked bout the vivocity thing, is not of sacarsm. it is actually envy cuz even my partner and i do wanna be like that too, but for me you know where i stand. i simply dont drive that's all. i was driving with my partner next to and i said the motor insurance was the biggest turn off and the cost of insurance alone is enough to pay for double my cab expenditures. i havent even included the price of the vehicle, fuel, erp, parking n maintenance yet.

i also spoke of the disposable income i need before i get myself a set of wheels. who doesnt want a car? but i cant find value in it. :)

-- mark

AK71 said...

I know it's not sarcasm lah. Haha.. Yes, a car's running cost is very high.

I think if we look at value for money in its strictest sense, we are talking about nominal value. So, if we could have something for S$100, why should we pay S$150, for example. So, if we could take a taxi everytime we need transportation and it costs less than owning a car, why own a car?

For me, I see value in having a car because of the convenience it gives me. I also use it for work and when I go out with my loved ones. It contributes to happiness. hahaha... That's why I said happiness is not a science. How to measure?

Obviously, a car is not your priority now. All in good time. :)

Anonymous said...

yeh not a priority now. am gonna buy gold using CPF! :P

i will buy a car when im happy spending the money. if i get one now i will be happy 29 days of the month and the one day the bills r due i will cryLOL

AK71 said...

Hehehe... I will have a new post on why I'm not too excited about gold but recognise that it is one of the many things we should own as a hedge against inflation. Stay tuned. :)

Anonymous said...

lol. i didnt buy in the end. i bought more saizen, in a stupid way sigh... what was i thinking...

AK71 said...

Saizen REIT? As long as it is 15c or lower, I think it's ok. I'm just queueing to buy at 14.5c everyday as I am already heavily vested. ;)

mark said...

nearly 3 years on - i now drive. Finer things in life for me to share with people definitely. I see my old comment on dec 27. Obviously a lot has changed since.

AK71 said...

Hi mark,

Indeed. Time really flies and the only constant in life is change.

Feeling old now. Cough, cough...


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award