The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

To let go or to hold on to a position?

Thursday, November 7, 2013

We can either make statements of fact or opinions. They are quite different from one another although sometimes people mix them up. This is just something that happens naturally in daily life.

"Today's temperature is 30 degrees Celcius." This is a statement of fact. It could be either right or wrong.

"This is a nice day." This is an opinion. There is no right or wrong.

How could these be mixed up?

Well, to me, it might be a fact that the weather is nice but to someone else it might not be. We could have a debate until the cows come home on who is right but it would be an exercise in futility because there is simply no right or wrong to this.


Of course, we can make statements of fact or opinions about anything under the Sun, including people.

"This person is 1.7m in height." This is a statement of fact.

"This person is short." This is an opinion.

In the land of the Vikings, 1.7m might be short for a guy but in PNG, 1.7m might be considered tall.

Now, when we start saying things about people, we have to be a bit more careful because it could get sensitive. I know people who are vertically challenged who are very sensitive to being called "short".

So, I try to be careful about what I say about people. I don't want to be hurtful. The best is not to say anything at all. If I have to say something, I try to make sure it is positive. If it is not, I try to be diplomatic.

Sometimes, I might slip up. If the other party should be diplomatic enough to let it go, then, I should be grateful and let it slide. I might even think of how to make it up to the other party in future.

Why force anyone into a corner? When any regular guy with an iota of pride is forced into a corner, what is going to be his natural reaction? Should we be surprised by the answer?

We will very likely save ourselves and others a lot of angst if we are more careful with what we say in the first instance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ak,

Had an unpleasant experience??

Personally, I don't mind people calling me short, or shortie, I can be quite "shameless" muhaha, but I actually think someone is trying to be funny if he says I am vertically challenged! haha, hard to please?

I realize its not the content but the person. I can joke and tease my close colleague until my other colleagues ask if we are really quarreling, we laugh, that's the way we talk. But I can be very cordial with others, but I know that's not me.

I even learn how to say the "official langauge" now, when dealing with supplliers, vendors or my superiors, and also know how to use the "customers always right" language when dealing with complaints.

I used to think that is hypocritical, trust me, I think it show how E.Q, because my wife always comment that I have low EQ in the past and my words always hurt her more than encourage her. Muhahahah

AK71 said...

Hi Mike,

I don't think you have low EQ at all. On the contrary, I think your EQ is quite high. Just an impression. :)

You could tell I had an unpleasant experience. That shows how sensitive you are. Low EQ? Nah. ;p

Yes, this blog post was inspired by an exchange I had on FB with another blogger. While driving to work, the idea for the blog post just formed in my mind.

It is important to be careful with what we say and also how we say it. Do unto others what we would want others to do unto us.

This is as much a reminder to myself as it is one for anyone
who cares enough to take it to heart. :)

钢铁侠 said...

Hi Ak,

see this, http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/singapore/reits-paid-out-s-2-9b-in/875278.html

certain percentage went into AK pocket..
bravo....lol..

AK71 said...

Hi Gregg,

How can like that say? O_o

Should say "our" pockets. ;p

Steven said...

Hi AK,

You have a facebook page? Y never link to your blog?

Anyway life is short, just take it easy. No1 lives forever...


Best Regards,
Steven

AK71 said...

Hi Steven,

Aiyoh, I am an IT idiot (almost) lah. :(

Despite what some people might say about me being very smart to use a blog to push some personal agenda (like what?), I am really not in the know about most things IT.

I did blog about following me on FB though: Follow AK71 on Facebook.

Anyway, I think I will become less active in Facebook to avoid stepping on toes. :)

gcw said...

if we were to stress on how people sees us, we haven't lived.

those who mind dont matter, those who matter dont mind.

AK71 said...

Hi GCW,

You have attained Enlightenment! :)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award