The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

One way to save money more rapidly.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

People who know me are often amazed by how quickly I am able to save money. Well, it isn't a mystery, really.

One of the things I avoid doing is dining in restaurants. How much does a meal cost in Paradise Inn or Din Tai Fung, for examples?

This doesn't mean that I don't dine in restaurants but I do it sparingly. Some might remember my fortnightly visits to Soup Restaurant, partly because I was a shareholder. Anyway, I have stopped visiting them for many moons now as I feel that the standard has dropped.

If we go to restaurants frequently, reducing the frequency meaningfully could see quite a bit of savings every month. See related post number 1 at the end of this blog post to read a family man's experience.

Feeling hungry? Just go to Old Chang Kee to get a curry puff. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg. On other days, just have simple meals at home. Sandwiches and oatmeal are easy to prepare. Porridge and noodles too.

This was what I had tonight:

Choy sum.

Chopped and rinsed.

Time for a hot water bath.

Add some fried ikan bilis and ginger. Looks good, tastes good!

Mustn't forget to have a fruit.

Home baked chocolate chip cookie, thanks to my sis.

Avoid going to restaurants and we could save money more quickly. Feed our wallets! Burp!

Related posts:
1. How to have a comfortable retirement?
"His family used to dine in restaurants every Sunday. This is now reduced to only once a month. This helps him save more than $200 each month."
2. Rich gets richer. Poor gets poorer.
"只要功夫深,铁杆磨成针."
3. If we are not rich, don't act rich.
"Now, this may sound jaded as I have said it before many times and that is we should run our lives like we would run a business!"

16 comments:

yeh said...

i see you eat banana quite often.

my hubby also love to eat banana:)

http://nnszsp.spzs.com/listproduct/792966.html

i bought this from NTUC , think around 1.75 per pack.can serve 3 person.

well, i find this noodle taste is nice and the noodle is non fried noodle.

with dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, sesame oil and rice wine. very yummy.

then make a boiled egg and boil some vegetable.

very yummy.


SmartPassiveCashFlow said...

A nice meal and saves money as well. Makes me hungry now. Yummy!!

Sillyinvestor said...

Hi AK,

Indeed, I seconded what you say. I tried bringing bf to work, reduce weekend done out to once a week, and I felt things improve a lot ( psychologically), the money saved might not be mind boggling but over the longer run, it gave a state of calmness which is priceless.

Also, weekend dine out is a great bonding time, I do not advocate scrimping on that, but once a week and choose your restaurant, it should be ok on the pockets. No need to go those atas European restaurants or high class chinese cruisine.

A family of 6 for a Swensen meal is about $100. Not crippling at all, if it's once a week. A similar trip to Tung Lok could easily be above $200, and you can have 2 meals instead of one.

Also, do you really need te higher plan for your HP. Mine is the lowest data plan, I always online but I dun really watch video, never burst my plan before for the past 2 years. Just has to managed the urge to get the latest phone with less subsidy from telecom. I slash $25 every month just but switching my plan to a lower value Coporate plan.

AK71 said...

Hi yeh,

I am switching to non fried noodles too. Healthier choice! :)

Banana doesn't keep very well. So, I don't usually like to buy them although I enjoy eating them. Recently, NTUC Fairprice kept having special price of 99c for a bunch. So, I have been buying a lot more bananas recently. Yes, I know. I giam siap. ;p

AK71 said...

Hi SPCF,

Yup. This is Mee Poh from Myojo, just in case you are wondering. :)

SMOL is the instant noodles gourment in the financial blogging circuit. If you have questions, ask him. ;)

AK71 said...

Hi Mike,

Once a week, $100 per visit is $400 a month! Wow! For me, about $100 a month is plenty.

OK. Don't mind me. Different lah. I am a swinging bachelor. I better enjoy quality me time while I still can. ;p

I think I have the same data plan as you have for my phone. I didn't want to have a data plan but I was forced to have one when I re-contracted. Bummer. -.-"

Well, I did get a new phone for free. So, shan't complain. ;)

Sillyinvestor said...

LOL AK,

Indeed it is different. That's why I no longer 强求 financial freedom anymore.

Oops ... Sorry, different message from your blog. But it's good to save.

My MIL is saying ex ex. But when I see the smile on her face when she eat her favorite ciabatta bread, I think it's a worthwhile for her care for my son.

AK71 said...

Hi Mike,

Oh, to see our loved ones smile is priceless. A family dinner or two every month at your favourite family restaurant? That is an affordable luxury. ;)

That is what I say about my car too. An affordable luxury. ;p

Hahaha.. You are a good man, Mike. :)

yeh said...

hi Mike,

you can buy via groupon or Qoo for good deals:)

i always buy via groupon or Qoo for good foods.

then i will go tao bao to search for my household items. i just bought some LED light bulb and hubby's house wear from taobao.

not bad.

yeh said...

hi AK

my home cooked foods tonight to serve 3 person:)

http://yehinvestmentandmusic.blogspot.sg/2015/01/home-cooked-foods-again-is-made-from.html

as my health not very good, so i try to cook as much as i can. now, i just simply enjoy home cooked foods.

sometimes, i feel that my own cook foods taste nicer than restaurant foods. really thick face, bu yao lian:) hahahaha

yeh said...

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/RICE-COOKER-HEATING-LUNCH-BOX-LUNCH/414629429#customerTabWrap1

i bought this to office recently, well.
i will start my own cook lunch tomorrow onwards:) yeh! can eat more healthier and save more money.

AK71 said...

Hi yeh,

Thanks for all the sharing! :)

I am sure you are a good cook and you get to save money too. What's not to like? ;p

Jes said...

Hi AK,

If you have unfinished bananas, can freeze it and make some delicious food like cookies and milkshakes:

http://www.thekitchn.com/lighter-treat-recipe-frozen-banana-peanut-butter-chocolate-milkshake-111540

Enjoy!

AK71 said...

Hi Jes,

Thanks but, no, thanks. Too much work. I am lazy.

Actually, it has to do with the fact that I do not have a proper kitchen in my shoebox apartment too. Don't have a blender. Don't have a mixer. You get the idea. ;p

Unknown said...

Hi Ak,

So happy to see your colorful meal. Looking at the screen made ME hungry as well.
Before long, i will have to ask you for advice on cooking noodles!

^_^

AK71 said...

Hi pansy,

It is like a work of art, isn't it? LOL. Yah, AK the thick skin cook. ;p


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award