The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Consider making a donation to help needy students.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Update: A good deed to end 2016.

--------------------------
From time to time, I would blog about how we should try to give back to society.

As I believe in the importance of education and how it would help not just an individual but also his family and future generations to have a better life, I have made yearly donations to NUS University Wide Bursaries.




This year, a significant portion of the money collected from organising "Evenings with AK and friends" and my other public appearances have found their way into the charity fund I am building.


Ultimately, I would still like to set up a foundation to help financially disadvantaged students in future but that is many years in the making. 

In the meantime, I will continue to make donations to causes which I find meaningful.







If you would like to help needy undergraduates as well, you might want to consider making a donation too.


The form can be downloaded here or you could make a donation online with a credit card here.




No amount of donation is too small. 

Every dollar counts.





In fact, I would be more impressed with a $10 donation from a regular office worker than a $50 donation from a successful millionaire business owner, for example. 

I am sure you know what I mean.

So, don't feel shy to make a small donation.






Helping to educate a person is really 功德无量 (which means "service to mankind and benefits beyond measure").

"The best thing a human being can do is to help another human being know more." - Charlie Munger






Click to enlarge.






---------------------
Received this in the mail today (31 December 2015):





An unexpected gift. A pleasant surprise.

A new pen for the new year. :)





Related posts:
1. One of the most noble things we can do.
2. Have money must also have a heart.
3. An appeal by AK71 for donations.

6 comments:

Lim Der Shing said...

Try using giveasia to raise under your own cause and then you can lump sum donate to your charity. I did two crowd funding projects and raised over 20k quite quickly. Works well.

http://giveasia.org/movement/3_special_therapy_chairs_for_children
http://giveasia.org/movement/safe_and_bright_homes_for_elderly_-_need_13k

AK71 said...

Hi Der Shing,

Thanks but, no, I don't want to do this.

I have been offered individual donations when I told friends and some readers what I have in mind. However, I have rejected them. I don't want to raise funds like this.

By providing value through my public appearances, I collect what I feel are reasonable and well deserved fees and it is my fees that I am donating to charitable causes I believe in.

This way, I feel that I am not taking money for not doing anything.

Lim Der Shing said...

No obligation, just sharing a way that worked for me to leverage network to donate to good causes that I vetted and personally donating. Actually lots of people who read your blog. Some may gain some value. Nothing wrong to ask them if they found your content good to make a donation to a cause you like. That's what I do on my entrepreneurship blog.

Btw, I keep hearing people talk about creating foundation to help a cause, can share what is special about this structure? I always thought easier to just work a vwo that specializes in the cause we like and just support them with time and money? How does creating another entity help things? I mean if a foundation has say 500k seed with commitment to fund further 200k a year until it builds up its own donor pool, I guess it makes sense. But also should not duplicate with what is out there. Any thoughts on this?

AK71 said...

Hi Der Shing,

Yup, I am sure all of us have our own beliefs. Definitely not saying if one method is better than another. It is more a matter of choosing methods we are comfortable with, I feel. :)

As for starting a foundation, I would like for my efforts to have longevity. Having some core assets and using the income generated to help needy students is what I have in mind. I would also like to have much more say in how things are done, who gets the money etc.

I do understand that it is a bit more work but it is what I want to do. Until I do it, I will continue to make donations to charitable causes I believe in and education is a big thing for me.

AK71 said...

Received an unexpected and pleasant surprise. :)

AK71 said...

EVENING WITH AK AND FRIENDS 2018.

PK Jan says...
***All proceeds will go into helping needy students for educational needs*** haha.. this time saw fb post early bought tix liao.. can go cannot go also never mind.. after all it's for a good cause 👍👏🤩

Augustine Lim says...
Got say proceeds go to charity meh?

PK Jan says...
got.. when you click to buy the ticket

Augustine Lim says...
oh. Tks! I go chk it out. I sign up too fast without looking. If really give to charity is really worth it.

Dolce Goh says...
In line with my belief in helping needy students for educational needs 👍

AK says...
Nothing new. I have been doing this for years.


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award