The email address in "Contact AK: Ads and more" above will vanish from November 2018.

PRIVACY POLICY

FAKE ASSI AK71 IN HWZ.

Featured blog.

1M50 CPF millionaire in 2021!

Ever since the CPFB introduced a colorful pie chart of our CPF savings a few years ago, I would look forward to mine every year like a teena...

Past blog posts now load week by week. The old style created a problem for some as the system would load 50 blog posts each time. Hope the new style is better. Search archives in box below.

Archives

"E-book" by AK

Second "e-book".

Another free "e-book".

4th free "e-book".

Pageviews since Dec'09

Financially free and Facebook free!

Recent Comments

ASSI's Guest bloggers

Tea with AK71: Some of my stuff (Part 2).

Monday, February 7, 2011

One of my favourite possessions is my wallet! I truly can't live without it! This was bought with money from my first pay cheque 15 years ago. It is a Heritage brand genuine leather wallet made in W. Germany and cost slightly more than $100 then. I remember I got it from Metro in Marina Square. The leather is really nice and soft. Good quality stuff. I can't find this brand anymore in Singapore. If you know where to get it, let me know. I would like to standby a replacement wallet, just in case.


This next item is a collapsible umbrella which I bought from Japan in 1998. Cost: JPY1,000 (equivalent to $15 in those days). I really like how compact it is and it fits into my briefcase. I am never caught without an umbrella when it rains. I doubt I could get one at the same price now even if it was still available. 


Do you have some old stuff which you are still using today? They don't make things the way they used to, do they? So what if they are old? Old is gold. :)

Related post:
Tea with AK71: Some of my stuff (Part 1).

14 comments:

la papillion said...

Hi AK,

I do! I had a pencil that I bought in 1995, still in use today after 15 yrs. I love old things because of the memories that bring me :)

AK71 said...

Hi LP,

You too? Maybe, you could take photos of the 'antiques' you have as well and share on your blog. Good idea? ;)

Anonymous said...

AK.

you seem to buy good quality things. my leather wallet's barely 4 years old and the logo fell off already. :(

-Isaac

AK71 said...

Hi Isaac,

Expensive does not mean quality is good. Inexpensive does not mean quality is bad.

Worse thing to happen is buying bad quality items at high prices. I have seen this happened so many times before.

For example, a friend bought a Hugo Boss watch only to see one of the numbers falling off after a couple of months! Hugo Boss is not a watch maker and I would not pay $800 for a Hugo Boss watch! Better off buying a Swatch or, in fact, a Casio!

I don't always buy good quality stuff though. Sometimes, I just buy something because it is cheap. It might not last very long but at least it is cheap.

For example, I bought a velcro closure type wallet from Popular Bookstore at $5 a couple of years ago. I use it when I travel with only a couple of credit cards and some notes. It is still in good condition but I know velcros won't last very long.

I hope your leather wallet is not branded and expensive. ;p

Anonymous said...

My Casio scientific calculator, fx-991M bought in 1998. The "last batch of Made In Japan" Casio calc. Still working today and needing a new battery every 2 years, even if I didn't use it.

SnOOpy168

AK71 said...

Hi SnOOpy168,

Casio scientific calculator? Wah! That brings back memory. The last time I had one was in 1988. I think I gave it away after dropping Maths C. Haha..

Now, the only calculators I use are those big ones which cost $5 or $6 each and they run on light energy. I think the brand is Aurora. They last forever. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi AK
I am still using a 12 digit Casio basic calculator (Model HL-122) purchased in early 1980s. I love this calculator because it is compact and used it for office work. Now I am retired, it is on my computer table for share calculation.
hehehe.
Cheers
CSTAN

AK71 said...

Hi CSTAN,

I also have a calculator next to my computer. I also use it to make calculations for my investments in the stock market. ;)

I have friends who use Excel and told me that I am behind the times. I didn't know this. Haha.. Oh well, maybe I would learn Excel one day. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

looking back, since I had left school. It was very very rare that I had to use anything more complex than the S$5.90 desktop calc that I bought from Carrefour. Excel is helpful but not instantly available on your desk. And yes, unlike the "all-powerful & everything also can" iPhone4, the battery is a long forgotten liability on this device.

SnOOpy168

AK71 said...

Hi SnOOpy168,

Haha.. I have found a kindred spirit, it seems. :)

iPhone? What is that har? I use a free phone from the telco. I think the plan is S$20 a month or something. ;p

Kyith said...

i am a proponent of having a smartphone. its not like you have spent most part of your life without it thats why u don't need it.

its especially important for bloggers to understand this since the future standard of information is via the smart devices more likely than the desktop or laptop.

if you want to compare sturdy stuff then iphone is one of them as well.

but i particularly like your umbrella.

AK71 said...

Hi Drizzt,

One day, I am going to find out more about this iPhone and what it can do. I think I must learn from people like you. I am a late adopter of technology. Really.

I bought 3 of this umbrella from Japan that year. I gave one to my sister's then husband and one to a friend. Kept this one for myself. Should have kept all three for myself. Haha.. ;)

Kyith said...

dun have to learn from me lah. there are numerous ways to keep abreast of this news.

if you use an RSS reader like google reader these are feeds that you can subscribe to:

http://feeds.lifehack.org/Lifehack
http://feeds.feedburner.com/jkontherun

Drizzt
Investment Moats.com

AK71 said...

Hi Drizzt,

Thanks for the links but you can bet that whenever I come up against a wall, I would go knocking on your door. Hahaha.. ;)


Monthly Popular Blog Posts

All time ASSI most popular!

 
 
Bloggy Award